Kefir has many benefits including better digestion of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, and has been known for thousands of years for its anti ageing and immune enhancing properties. Kefir is an ancient cultured food rich in amino acids, enzymes, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and B vitamins.
Kefir means "feel good" in Turkish and that's just how you'll feel after drinking a glass in the morning. Easy and fun to make at home, it is superior to commercial yogurt. An absolute must after antibiotic use. Unlike yogurt, kefir can actually colonise the intestinal tract.
- 6 tablespoons of previous batch will ferment 1 quart of liquid. Please refrigerate once received.
- Into container (preferably glass with lid), mix together the entire contents of one foil package of kefir starter and one quart of slightly warmed milk (about skin temperature or 33 degrees).
- Shake, stir or whip with a whisk to mix well. Put lid on container.
- Let this mixture ferment at 22-24 C for 18-24 hours for milk, 24-48 hours for coconut water and some others. (You will notice it is ready if the milk has thickened and has a distinctive, sour fragrance. Final consistency is pourable but not "eat with a spoon" thick.) Coconut water will not thicken like milk, only become cloudy and much less sweet.
- Shake or stir vigorously and place into the refrigerator. Even in your refrigerator the fermentation process continues, but chilling will slow down the fermentation of the healthy bacteria and beneficial yeast.
- Form: Powder
- Serving Size: 1 packet (makes 7.5 litres)
- Number of Servings: 6 packets (45 litres)
Non-GMO, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Kosher
Probiotics, Gut Support, Cellular Support, Fermented Drink
Body Ecology Kefir Starter contains the following beneficial bacteria:
- Lactococcus lactis
- Lactococcus cremoris
- Lactococcus diacetylactis
- Leuconostoc cremoris
- Lactobacillus plantarum
- Lactobacillus casei
- Saccharomyces boulardii