COCONUT KEFIR MADE WITH 1 LITRE OF BE PURE COCONUT WATER
Coconut kefir is an amazingly healing probiotic drink having many desirable side affects:
- stops sugar cravings
- aids digestion of all foods
- has a tonifying affect on the intestines
- supplies the intestinal tract with an abundance of healthy intestinal flora
- combats candida overgrowth
- cleanses the liver
- contains high levels of valuable minerals including potassium, natural sodium, calcium and magnesium.
- increases energy and gives you an overall feeling of good health
Coconut kefir fits right into a candida and sugar free diet.
Ingredients - 1 sachet of Body Ecology Kefir starter plus 1 litre of coconut water (from fresh baby coconuts) or, in this case, a litre carton of Be Pure Coconut water (plus optional - Ecobloom )
- Begin with 1 x 1 litre of Be Pure and heat it in a pot on the stove to just warm (skin temperature). This only takes 30 seconds to a minute at a low temperature, so not long at all. Remove from the stove.
- Take one sachet of the Body Ecology Kefir starter and sprinkle into the warmed Be Pure Coconut water and whisk to blend completely along with 1 scoop of Ecobloom.
HINT: Ecobloom by Body Ecology is a product that is like a superfood for Bacteria. It feeds them and helps to increase fermentation rates and bacteria population in a big way while not feeding unhealthy bacteria. It also helps to guarantee a successful ferment and definitely needed with the coconut yogurt where there is no sugar in the flesh to feed the bacteria during fermentation. We are very impressed with the difference it makes to the final product.
- Pour that liquid into a standard one litre jar that has a lid.
- Sit a lid or cover loosely on the jar and let it sit in a warm place for 36 hrs ( a hot water cupboard is ideal). The first batch from a new sachet will generally take around 36 hours but successive batches using 1/4 cup of the coconut kefir liquid (from previous batch) to one litre of Be Pure Coconut water will only take around 24 hours.
- Once it has finished fermenting, the kefir should then be placed into the fridge and will keep for several days getting stronger each day as the bacteria will continue to multiply but at a much reduced rate.
- To make your next batch take ¼ of a cup of your coconut kefir and add it again to warm Be Pure coconut water and 1 scoop of Ecobloom
- Place the lid loosely on your jar and let sit for another 24 hours approximately.
- Refrigerate once ready and repeat the process to make more coconut kefir.
- 1 Sachet of Body Ecology Kefir Starter will produce 6 successive batches after the initial one.
How to tell when your Coconut Kefir is ready.
When the coconut water ferments it becomes a bit cloudy, bubbly and tastes a little like champagne, you may sense that it smells like bread or beer and that’s fine.
The lid can pop off if the lids are screwed down too tight. Generally each batch won’t ferment at the same pace but it does tend to be closer in time with the Be Pure Coconut water.
IMPORTANT: You cannot tell if the Kefir is ready just by looking at it. You need to take the jar out of the cupboard, stir it with a wooden utensil or silicon whisk and if you see lots of bubbles coming to the surface then it will mean fermentation is well under way. It becomes effervescent on the surface when it is stirred and this is caused by all of the bacteria and looks kind of like a fizzy drink when you stir it or like a disprin dissolving in water. I also sip on it to check just how far the fermentation has processed and you can decide then just how fizzy and sour you would like it. Each jar of kefir can ferment about six more jars. So you will want to leave ¼ cup of the fermented juice in each jar to start the next batch.
Why only re-use kefir water for 7 batches? The reason that it is recommended to only do up to around 7 times in total is that the mix of strains in the Kefir culture powder will start to change its balance since some of them are stronger than others and will want to dominate. To keep a healthy balance therefore, it pays to use a new sachet of the Body Ecology Kefir after the 7th batch.
Detox. No need to go too fast when embarking on your fermentation journey. The coconut kefir can be very detoxing. The detox will be amazing if you support it with colon therapy, skin brushing, spa baths, energetic and emotional reinforcement as well as good old fashioned sleep.
Reactions to probiotic foods like kefir are really quite varied from one person to the other. In children for example, some can get hyper for a while while others may disconnect. It’s generally a sign that the body is pushing out the old. More than anything the body really wants to heal.
Recipes on the site using coconut kefir.
Refreshing Tropical Almond Yogurt and Coconut Kefir Drink
Almond Yogurt - Fermented Almond Creme with an update.