Simple Winter Coleslaw with Sauerkraut
by Michele K La Chante
This coleslaw is a great way to introduce sauerkraut into your diet in a healthy and delicious way. Instead of using an acid like vinegar or lemon juice with the oil and salt for the dressing, I have incorporated my sauerkraut into the coleslaw in place of the acid and the result is so yummy it leaves you wanting more.
I have not put quantities as you will just need to firstly cut up the amount of cabbage that you want and then add the rest in the ratio that you like. The Karengo seaweed shaker flakes give this coleslaw an extra flavour boost while adding valuable minerals. You don’t need a lot of them to achieve the desired result....just a sprinkling.
Ingredients (preferably organic)
- Cabbage (Green and/or red) – finely chopped
- Carrot – grated
- Radishes – grated
- Red onion – finely chopped
- Chives – finely chopped
- Karengo Shaker flakes
- Sauerkraut – squeezed out and chopped if too chunky
- Optional – finely chopped garden greens eg kale, spinach, endive, fancy lettuces etc as in my picture.
Mix all of the above together in a large bowl with your hands and then add the following.
- Fine Celtic Salt or Celtic Gomasio – I prefer Celtic to Himalayan since it has 5 x the amount of minerals in it. We use the Gomasio a lot!!
- Flax seed oil – Omega 3 rich oil which is great for reducing inflammation
- Optional - Cayenne pepper
- Optional but oh so tasty! – Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce
Mix together well with a large spoon or spatula and keep tasting and adding more salt or oil as needed. The flax seed oil is very mild in flavour and the coleslaw tastes even better with a generous amount of it.
Here are some other options that we have added at various times.
Pumpkin seeds – raw or roasted
Chopped up organic chicken
Chopped parsley or coriander